October 2018_Back of the Moon

urlook

  보이지 않는 ‘달의 이면’에 대한 자유로운 상상으로 금속 조형 작품을 제작한다. 달은 자전과 공전 주기(27.3일)가 같아서 항상 지구에 같은 면만을 보여준다. 지구에서 육안으로 관찰할 수 있는 정확한 달의 면적은 59%이며, 41%는 항상 보이지 않는다. 볼 수 없는 달의 이면은 누군가 설정해 놓은 가상 현실 같다.

 과학 기술의 발전으로 인간은 달의 뒷면을 1959년에 보게 되었고, 이는 지구에 사는 생명체가 달의 뒷면을 보는데 35억 년이 걸린 셈이라고 한다. 그러나 여전히 기술적 도움 없이는 달의 뒷면은 우리 눈에 닿지 않는다. 인간보다 상위 존재에 있는 누군가가 프로그래밍 한 것 같은 세상에서, 인간은 지각적 한계에 부딪혀 볼 수 없는 본래의 세상에 대한 의문을 항상 지니고 있다.

 우리는 보통 우리의 눈이 실제로 ‘본’ 대상을 ‘실재한다’고 여기는 반면, 기술 매체를 통과한 이미지는 ‘가상’이라고 여긴다. 하지만 핸드폰 디스플레이에 보이는 수많은 ‘밤 하늘의 사진’과, 우리의 눈으로 직접 본 ‘밤 하늘’에서 원본과 복제물의 다른 점을 찾을 수 있을까? 우리가 바라보는 ‘밤 하늘’이 휴대폰 디스플레이 같다는 생각을 한 적도 있다. 위와 같은 생각으로 눈으로 볼 수 없는 ‘달의 이면’에 대한 상상을 자유롭게 표현한다. 음모론을 말하고자 하는 것은 아니다. 그저 내가 하는 ‘한계가 없는 상상’을 조형언어로 표현해보고자 한다.


 I produce metal artworks with free imagination about the invisible 'Moon behind’. The cycle of rotation and of revolution of the moon are the same(27.3 days), which makes it show the same side to Earth all the time. The area of the moon that can be observed visually on Earth is exactly 59% of the whole moon, thus the rest 41% is always invisible to us. The back of the moon that can not be seen is like a certain kind of virtual reality someone might have set up.

 With the advancement of science and technology, humans came to see the back of the moon in 1959, which means that living creatures on Earth take 3.5 billion years to see the back of the moon. But without the technical help, the back of the moon does not come in sight. In a world that is programmed by someone so called God, humans always have questions about the original world that can not be easily perceived because of our perceptual limits.

 We usually believe that images that pass through our eyes actually 'real' objects, whereas images that pass through the technical medium are ‘virtual'. However, should we find the true difference between the original and the duplicate looking at many "Night Sky Pictures" on a cell phone display and "Night Sky" we see through our eyes? I often think that the 'night sky' we are looking at is like a mobile phone display. Through the above idea, I freely expresses the imagination of 'the back of the moon' which is unrevealed to our eyes. I do not mean to bring in conspiracy theories but just want to to express my 'imagination without limit' in the figurative language.


-Sound Interactive 

-Projector, Steel Object

-Variable Installation